forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: scratchpad won't compile, help!
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:45:52 GMT
Ian Atkin wrote:
> PS

Pure Speculation?
Pretty Solution?
Plain Samples?

;-))

> - my main interest is to integrate forrest and docbook, maybe come up
> with an 'apachebook' or something

Forrest DTD is meant to be a kind of ApacheBook.
It still needs stuff, and your help can be... of help ;-)

> - i've always hated the 'chunking' parts of docbook (for sets, books and
> alike) but i highly rate the block-level markup, paramterised/modular
> DTD's and stylesheets

Good, it seems you had to work with it, it's great news :-)

> - not interested in shoving docbook down anyone's throats, but docbook
> is mature and i see no reason to re-invent the wheel, perhaps trim it
> down or steal the best practise by the bucket

Yup.
Call it DocBookXP maybe ;-)

> - any ideas on how to approach this? anything forrest really needs more
> urgently while i learn the codebase?

A glossary. Forrest should be able to add automatic links to words that
are in a glossary, but first we need the glossary format ;-)

Anyway, let me warn you that discussion on Forrest about DocBook /could/
become difficult, mainly because of ignorance. DocBook advocates don't
know Forrest, and Forrest advocates mainly don't understand DocBook.

That said, let me say that I promise I'll be helpful, because this
DocBook question is becoming more and more frequent, and there is
evidently something we're missing.

I think it would be really *fantastic* (honestly) if you could come up
with a reasoned comparison, so that we can finally make reasoned decisions.

These are the point that you should take into account:
1) DocBook is for books, Forrest is mainly for sites or technical books
2) DocBook is more difficult to understand than Forrest, which is
basically a cleaned and enhanced XHTML.
3) Users will always ask why we don't use DocBook; we need a good reply
4) Forrest DTD lacks many useful features that DocBook has, while
DocBook has also many features that Forrest users would never use.
5) We should be able to convert one to the other, even if not with 100%
accuracy.
6) any suggestion welcome

If you will write technical comparisons with possibly some
suggestions, you will find us very eager to listen.

Thanks :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -