forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Separate CVS module for docs?
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:00:34 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Friday, July 12, 2002, at 12:11  PM, Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> my entire mail was written with the assumption this new module would
>> not only be containing Cocoon docs, but also other projects docs - an
>> idea which I don't particularly like due to the abysmal state of
>> xml-site which is such a 'shared module'
>
> No **only** cocoon docs. They are hard enough.

ah ok - now I'm getting it

>> ownership of docs should reside in the hands of per-project appointed
>> code/docs committers, not centralized in some xml.apache.org-docs module
>
> Agreed.
>
>> if my assumption is wrong (apparently) - sorry about it - I'm bad with
>> assumptions these days... :-(
>
> Sorry, I probably just expressed it weakly.

whatever - I'm triggerhappy with email these days ;-)

>> > I'm proposing this as a more efficient path of Forrest transition
>> > speaking on behalf of someone who is working hard to make that happen
>> > as well as support Forrest in the process.
>>
>> I know, Diana. We all know. If you prefer to have a separate module
>> for cocoon-docs, I can agree with you.
>
> I'm not sure what is best, that's why I was asking for input. It's up to
> the community -- not a single person -- to decide what's best.

for sure

I didn't meant to sound negative on the future of cocoon-docs, and I've
seen many great successes of attracting new content in the last few
weeks thanks to your tireless efforts, but tracking another cvs module
perhaps is a bigger burden for most people than subscribing to another
mailing list

>> I'm not so sure (from a community perspective) whether creating
>> subcommunities is efficient, however, but that's my personal opinion.
>
> How does a separate module weaken a community? I'm trying to help
> committers, speed up releases, etc. etc. I'm not trying to fork Forrest,
> if that's what you're are saying. It's just felt like there's a window
> of opportunity (for Cocoon) with 2.0.3 about to be released. The timing
> felt right.

it's not going to weaken the community maybe, but it will add a logistic
burden to the infrastructure people distributing commit priviliges,
keeping them in sync with the project themselves etc...

>> We are actively thinking about some form of forrest.jar/.war/.cent
>> that projects depending on Forrest need to include inside their CVS
>> module for local builds - it's just that I haven't quite wrapped my
>> brain around it - anyone an idea?
>
> I'm worried about bloating Cocoon's CVS any more than is necessary.

agree - but isn't adding a forrest runtime environment to it also bloat?

other idea: how about packaging forrest as an Ant Task for local builds?

>> Friends again?
>
> Still...

Yeah!

</Steven>