forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: forrestbot: security and trust
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:51:08 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Is "remote" really such an important requirement? Don't
> the other servers have cron and other infrastructure
> or is local building considered to eat up too much
> ressources?
>
> If my website was important enough, I'd rather use
> local doc building rather than depend on trusted third
> parties and the security of machines I don't control.
>
> This doesn't mean forrest shouldn't do remote building.

you're absolutely right

nevertheless, I don't think too many people have set up Gump locally,
they are happy with the service Sam is providing

this remote obsession came when finding out how many copies of common
jars & infrastructure tools are dispersed across cvs.apache.org: loads
of copies of xalan, xerces, ant, etc etc

I live with the assumption people are not eager to install a full-blown
Cocoon runtime environment if the complexity of their documentation does
not justify that - maybe they would be happy to find out that the
forrestbot does it all for them without too much project-related
dependencies

but I can be wrong on this - as i said, it's my pet peeve

</Steven>