forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [libre] use(full) how and when
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:48:38 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

(it's quite strange to use a mailing list when the guy you're talking to
actually sits next to me)

> So let's have it?
> When/where is the book.xml too cumbersome to maintain and how would you like
> to relieve it in a very pragmatic way?
> I think by visiting these concrete problems we can joint-express the kind of
> configurability we're looking for.

OK - to give this a headstart (hopefully).

I've seen a lot of so-called [summary] mails lately on cocoon-users,
which eventually would need to be collated in faqs and codesnippet
documents. Currently, we have a faq document which consists of one big
XML document.

Now imagine we just reserve a directory for faq-like documents, in which
small individual XML docs are collected of which we produce a ToC-like
view using libre. Nothing we can't do with the XPathDirectoryGenerator,
of course, except that the XPDG is an all-or-nothing approach. Using
libre, we can 'manually' add some entries (which really need to be
listed in front) and have the rest handled by libre.

After some time, having a directory with several tens/hundreds of these
little files can become a burden. Now we just have to create some
subdirectories according to certain categories and move our little
snippets into the relevant subdirs afterwards.

If we would use the book.xml approach here, we would end up with loads
of manual maintenance. Using libre, most of it would be automatic.

Sudden idea: we need to make sure libre supports at least what book.xml
currently does, maybe using the same elements. The big difference is
that book.xml is a static XML file, whereas libre is the combination of
a Cocoon Generator and a libre.xml configuration file, eventually
backchained by a transformation which produces book.xml markup (for
people who can't live without that ;-)

book.xml approach:

book.xml -> book2menu -> site2html
         xslt         xslt

libre approach:

libre.xml -> libre.xml -> dowhateveryoulike
      libre-generator  xslt

OK - useful or not?

</Steven>