forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Downloading build components
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:41:51 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Piroumian Konstantin wrote:
>
>>> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org] Piroumian

>>> Can this be

>>> The only way is putting libs in CVS od manually downloading.
>>

>> Ok. But what about next versions? What's wrong with having the jars in
>> CVS?
>> It's extremely inconvenient for those who have no luck to have direct
>> internet access.
>

> I'm tired of explaining why.

But I cannot resist, because it's important.

Below is what I wrote to the POI developers that said the same things
you say.
The whole discussion's here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=102185057700028&r=1&w=2:

Ken wrote:
"...

Anyway, the reason why jars are not to be put in CVS is merely technical
and economical.

Bandwidth costs. LOTS of money. Servers too. And disk space too, has to
be managed.

Now, if every project stores in its CVS the versions they use, we have
massive duplication of jars, and much bigger disk space used.

Also, CVS is not particularly bright as for binary files, and on some of
my machines it screwed up, and if not, it gets much more strain.

Then Bandwidth. You have no possibility of transparent mirroring, and if
you download 100 projects, you download 100 jars of the SAME Ant.
Apache is free, and bandwith costs.

That's why there is CPAN for Perl code, and CJAN is starting for Java.
It's easy for me to put in CVS, and personally I like it.
But are you still sure now that you want it?

It will take me no time in putting it there again, but I *strongly*
suggest you to reconsider.

CVS is for developers and developers have no problems usually in
installing the build system of a program they like. Heck, think about Linux!
"

> What I can tell you is that if it's in CVS under tools/cents/ the build
> will work just fine without modifications.
>
> Ask the other committers what they think, I'm -0 for it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -