forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: Stylebook transition
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 07:30:37 GMT wrote:

> Was there a reason? Since XHTML is designed to be reused this
> way.......? Or is it that noone knew much about modularisation?

no - can you learn us? ;-)

seriously: we wanted our DTDs to be simple and only slightly differing
from the older xdoc DTDs - the only serious other option was DocBook
which was considered to be too compex for simple project website editing

given the state of formal XML grammars in other similar projects, I
think we went as far as possible without scaring people off with
unnecessary complexity - given the fact that we are actually considering
_validation_ as part of the publishing pipeline

AAMOF, there is quite some modularization used already if you look
closely, but no official XHTML modules

I'm not saying we won't adopt XHTML fragments at some point in the
future, e.g. for Forms and the like; it just wouldn't make much sense
going for full XHTML right now

Steven Noels