forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Poll] Scope confusion?
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2002 13:57:43 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> <Dream-mode> XML parsers and XSLT processors are fairly common. What
> is lacking is lightweight XML pipeline processing and xinclude.
> We should have (Apache) projects for this, and a lightweight JAXP
> style API. Ant could have XML pipeline processing task build in.
> (Well XML pipeline means: get some XML, pass it through several
> processing stages, and serialize the result. No matchers, no actions,
> no views, no error handling)
> </Dream-mode>

This itch is not only yours, in fact it's a common problem that wants to
be programmatically resolved with a project called Morphos, the starting
idea of which is in commons-scratchpad.

If you want to take part, it would be awesome :-)

Look at the latest [Morphos] thread in jakarta-commons-dev for status.

Anyway, briefly put, the aim is to make an API for a transformation
pipeline, and provide hooks for the innumerable Apache Java projects
that have code to use for this (Cocoon Components, Jakarta BeanUtils,
Jakarta POI, Batik transcoder API, etc).

Then make an Ant task that makes this thing easily scriptable.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -