forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Poll] Scope confusion?
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2002 09:52:23 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> thanks to various remarks from Joerg, Diana and Nicola, I have been
> thinking lately that we have three slightly different goals for Forrest.
>
> * xml.apache.org: cross-project website generation with project metrics
> (download stats) and common documentation sections
> * remote doco building for subscribed projects, Gump-like fashion
> * a documentation environment for individual projects which need a solid
> framework for local docs generation, and distro docs packaging (think of
> PDF here)
>
> Looking at it, it seems like we could manage supporting this three-fold
> goal if we step back and recomponentize the different aspects.
>
> But first, I want a general feeling for your private itches. So if both
> users, committers and lurkers could step up and tell us what their main
> interest in Forrest is? Thanks!
>
>           =====================================================
>                                  Ballot
>
>           My main interest in Forrest is:
>
>             [ X ] building xml.apache.org next generation
>             [ X ] Gump-style remote doco building
>             [ X ] industrial strength documentation framework
>
>           =====================================================

I think that these are not different goals, but different aspects of the
same goal: project documentation.

The problem is that it needs to work locally, remotely, mono project-
multiproject, live, prebuilt...

This thing has been /haunting/ me these weeks, also with the Centipede
effort, and I think there is a good and clean solution.

Basically Forrest should simply be able to compile or run in a webapp
the documentation of a project.

Other tools do the rest.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -