forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Build targets (was: Re: Need todo list for Cocoon transition)
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 15:52:16 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:
> Next, the build process.
>
> <diana>
> 2. Build targets need to be added to address all of Cocoon's current
> builds.
> </diana>
>
> <steven>
> well... I have been planning (and postponing) to clean up the current
> forrest build environment and *finally* support remote project building
> - unfortunately, I will not be able to work on this before next week.
>
> Given that, there shouldn't be any adaptation necessary anymore.
> </steven>
>
> <david>
> A while ago Ken said that he would attend to upgrading
> Forrest's Centipede (which includes the Ant 1.5) to enable
> the use of the scratchpad 'transform-v11' targets.
> So be careful of effort overlap.
> </david>
>
> <steven>
> The more I am looking at the current build system, the more I get the
> feeling it is too much for what we are currently doing. I'd be happy if
> Nicola patches it, even adding that new 'import' tag he is currently
> advocating, but I want to move forward. I'm not so sure whether his and
> my plans would conflict, but I'll keep everyone informed so that we can
> minimize that risk.
> </steven>
>
> Clarification needed: What is the scope of "remote project building"? Is
> it correct to assume:
>
> 1. Forrest's only concern is building Cocoon's web site, and it does
> that remotely.

Well, build one remotely, build all.
I have already made POI's site build remotely, and there are the tasks
for it already in the build.

Steven knows it, and I assume he will use those to make it work for Cocoon.

> 2. Cocoon continues with its own build environment (with some minor
> modifications) to produce *all* other doc-related (e.g. user docs in the
> distro) and other targets. In other words, Cocoon continues using just
> Ant, not Centipede, at least for now.

Well, Centipede is Ant++.
Currently Forrest is not using Centipede "plugins", so what you say it's
true.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -