forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Need todo list for Cocoon transition
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 07:27:38 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:

> I'm still a little confused about what exactly remains for Cocoon to
> begin its transition to Forrest. Can someone please enlighten me by
> helping to complete a todo list? I thought David and I had trudged
> through most of the hard work already. I feel good about the state of
> the docs. I'm psyched to get going with Forrest and its promise. So,
> what remains to do?
>
> Seems to me:
>
> 1. Skin has to be decided by cocoon-dev, right? If so, shouldn't we get
> this process started on cocoon-dev?

yep (and please refrain from building your own skin ;-)

IMO, the 'bert' skin is the obvious choice right now

> 2. Build targets need to be added to address all of Cocoon's current
> builds.

well... I have been planning (and postponing) to clean up the current
forrest build environment and *finally* support remote project building
- unfortunately, I will not be able to work on this before next week.

Given that, there shouldn't be any adaptation necessary anymore.

> 3. Cocoon CVS needs some revisions
>   - add forrest.xgump
>   - add build facilities and targets
>   - ? Is the Forrest CVS adapting to Cocoon CVS structure or vice versa?

I checked the src/documentation structure of current Cocoon CVS and it
seems pretty well shaped up for Forrest remote project building.

> 4. Tab decisions (IMO these could wait).

you will need to add some tabs, I believe, but that's dead simple.

> 5. URISpace decisions (IMO these could also wait)

yep

> ... what else?
>
> Issues
> How do we address the differences between different versions of Cocoon
> in branches. Currently docs builds in HEAD are created with Cocoon 2.1;
> release uses 2.0.3. Will these differences affect Forrest-generated
> builds? Remember, we still need to have users be able to build their own
> docs from local cvs repositories based on multiple branches, don't we?

there's no concept of CVS branches inside project.xtarget right now, but
it should be possible to add those and run Forrest across both branches
- something we should add to the forrest.xconf descriptor, I guess.

> Target Date
> I'd like to complete this before 2.1 beta of Cocoon. Is it feasible?

When is that beta 'planned'?

> Even if we can't automate the web site updates yet, we could still
> transition to the necessary architecture, correct? Honestly, I'd prefer
> to continue with manual updates until we arrive at a comfort zone with
> all transition issues.

As I said, the documents seem pretty well shaped up. When do you plan to
make the transition to v11 DTDs? Or would you still be using the upgrade
XSLT?

> Thanks for your guidance.

I need to get Forrest in a better shape by the end of next week for a
customer - so hopefully I'll be able to add this remote project building
support 'RSN'(tm).