forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: Skin issues (was: Re: Need todo list for Cocoon transition)
Date Sat, 06 Jul 2002 05:06:56 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> Diana Shannon wrote:
> <snip/>
> > Maybe it's a goal of Forrest to have a uniform web site
> > -- but -- have you actually checked with other projects?
> > Do they consider it a goal? Are all of them represented here? Have all
> > of them been participating in the skin development process?
> >
> > It's seems to me, no. Am I wrong, lurkers?
> The bert skin is based on the original proposal of Stefano which has
> been discussed into much length on during the
> last months of 2001, IIRC. We know it will be a long time before
> actually showing something based on the discussions held in that time,
> but there was a consensus, then:
> * we need a common design
> * of course, it should be optional, you always have projects who like to
> go their own way (I'm not too keen on this, because it breaks the
> consistency of the website, but that's life)
> * the design Stefano proposed that time seemed the way to go forward
> > Strategically speaking, as a friend of Forrest, you need to:
> > 1. Update the Forrest site to show the Bert skin
> I could be doing this next week, although I prefer to wait until Forrest
> is ready to easily support remote doco building.
> Aside: anyone strong feelings against including Forrest on the
> main site?

We should have it there ASAP, after bert skin is happening.
I still think that we are not yet ready with content (e.g the
dreams document is very vague). Anyway, that can improve later.
Let us get it out there, so that we can foster some ownership.

> > 2. Contact all projects and ask them to comment on the
> > skin. In other words, allow them to influence the design so that they
> > "invest" and "own" the final result. Otherwise, I fear it will be
> > perceived as a top-down approach which will have limited success.
> see above
> It's not that I don't want to go into that discussion anymore, but as
> Stefano stated some time ago, we should move away from the skins
> discussion and focus on core issues:
> * remote doco building
> * DTD documentation
> * graphs
> * PDF generation
> * cross-project information (i.e. the main site)
> I want to tackle some of those so that others hopefully pick them up and
> enhance them - most of this stuff isn't too hard to implement but we
> seem to prefer talking about it on this list instead of getting things done.

The reason that there has been a lot of talking, is that
many of us were (and still are) confused as to the role and
the scope of Forrest. It seems that the original discussion
must have happened off-list or still be in the founders' heads.

> <snip/>
> > Above all, let's *not* let skin issues hold up our being able to use all
> > the other great stuff Forrest has to offer!
> Yep. Do not understand me wrong: I love talking about these issues, but
> the better model currently seems to me to actually put something into
> CVS and discuss/change that afterwards.

Yes, this is the best way. Some concrete stuff will help us
to shape and evolve Forrest ... and hopefully encourage more
contributers and thence new committers. There are too few
active troops at the moment.

View raw message