forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: escaping the ego trap [was: RE: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest]
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 19:23:04 GMT
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]

> Steven Noels wrote:

> > OK - how do we proceed from here. Some points & issues.
> >
> > * We have a pre-refactored version of libre in our own CVS,
> which does
> > basically what I have described in
> >
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102336035108059&
> w=2. Given
> > Stefano's remarks and our own belief in release early &
> often, we could
> > contribute this as-is to Forrest.
>
> Great.

I'm not sure and I'd rather want Bruno or Marc to answer this, but there
might be some issues. As previously stated, we are thinking of further
Avalonizing it (to make it more open to other implementations than
Cocoon only), and I assume the current build system might not be
sufficient for this - so we'll have to patch this too, import some more
stuff from the Cocoon build environment, and I currently don't know
whether Nicola thinks upgrading the current build system to Centipede
1.0 is still necessary.

> > * We believe Libre has a scope which can be broader than Forrest,
> > however, given the fact the refactoring currently going on is mostly
> > about Avalonizing the thing, the idea of traversing other
> repositories,
> > and also having other output implementations than the
> Cocoon Generator
> > (there is a CLI output already, others may follow). So we don't know
> > whether this should be part of Forrest, Cocoon, Avalon, Krysalis or
> > outerthought.sf.net. We could contribute the Jar of course, but that
> > means only we have CVS-access to the (open) source, which
> is not in the
> > spirit of our donation.
>
> No, I would not like to accept a binary donation anyway. I
> would suggest
> to keep the thing here in forrest for now.

I won't commit it right now, I'd prefer to send a patch to the list and
have some fellow Forresteers check it out on their local copies and see
if it is fit for committing.

> > * Practical issue: I'm not the author of the thing, only
> the cardboard
> > engineer. Marc Portier <mailto:mpo@outerthought.org> is,
> and it would be
> > very impractical for him/us when the canonical version
> resides in a CVS
> > repository where he has no commit rights to. At the same time, we
> > sincerely believe this should not be an easy way of gaining commit
> > rights for him on Forrest. So it is much more likely that
> we start with
> > adding it to SF, and re-using the Jar within Forrest. This of course
> > will mean that it won't be readily available for
> Forresteers, they will
> > have to look it up on SF instead.
>
> Hmmmm, to be entirely honest with you, I think that the
> normal routines
> apply: somebody makes a donation, keeps submitting patches, developers
> get bored of applying the patches to they give commit access.
>
> That's as simple as that, no need for SF proxying.

I know Marc was readying himself for SF, so he has to answer that one,
too.

> > * We could send an archive with source, examples, etc to interested
> > parties or the list, if that would help in the mean time. I
> won't expect
> > the refactoring be finished soon, and we now understand
> that this would
> > be better with some more eyeballs looking into our work. I
> am not sure
> > whether we'll find these eyeballs here, maybe cocoon-dev is a better
> > place.
>
> I think those doco-headed people are subscribed to both lists, so it
> doesn't really matter. for now, I would suggest keeping the
> focus on the
> functionality (not the code) and donate it here in the forrest
> scratchpad.

+1 on the functionality

> > We feel we might be missing an opportunity window here, so
> please help
> > us out in resolving this issue.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> > Thanks for your patience,