forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject escaping the ego trap [was: RE: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest]
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 09:01:41 GMT
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]

> NOTE: I do this to avoid Steven and his colleagues to waste time. I
> would be simple for me to vote -1 to libre and keep going with what we
> have, but that would be very rude and unrespectful of their
> contributed
> effort.

Indeed :-)

OK - how do we proceed from here. Some points & issues.

* We have a pre-refactored version of libre in our own CVS, which does
basically what I have described in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102336035108059&w=2. Given
Stefano's remarks and our own belief in release early & often, we could
contribute this as-is to Forrest.

* We believe Libre has a scope which can be broader than Forrest,
however, given the fact the refactoring currently going on is mostly
about Avalonizing the thing, the idea of traversing other repositories,
and also having other output implementations than the Cocoon Generator
(there is a CLI output already, others may follow). So we don't know
whether this should be part of Forrest, Cocoon, Avalon, Krysalis or
outerthought.sf.net. We could contribute the Jar of course, but that
means only we have CVS-access to the (open) source, which is not in the
spirit of our donation.

* Practical issue: I'm not the author of the thing, only the cardboard
engineer. Marc Portier <mailto:mpo@outerthought.org> is, and it would be
very impractical for him/us when the canonical version resides in a CVS
repository where he has no commit rights to. At the same time, we
sincerely believe this should not be an easy way of gaining commit
rights for him on Forrest. So it is much more likely that we start with
adding it to SF, and re-using the Jar within Forrest. This of course
will mean that it won't be readily available for Forresteers, they will
have to look it up on SF instead.

* We could send an archive with source, examples, etc to interested
parties or the list, if that would help in the mean time. I won't expect
the refactoring be finished soon, and we now understand that this would
be better with some more eyeballs looking into our work. I am not sure
whether we'll find these eyeballs here, maybe cocoon-dev is a better
place.

We feel we might be missing an opportunity window here, so please help
us out in resolving this issue.

Thanks for your patience,

</Steven>
stevenn@outerthought.org, next mail will be in the spirit of my