forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 04:59:26 GMT
> From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]

> What has this 3 hour exercise taught me:

some other thoughts after a night of sleep:

- error handling: there were some invalid links in the documents after
translation, pointing to unexisting resources (basically the old <link
idref=""/> elements). The crawler chokes on these with the interesting
ArrayOutOfBoundsException and 10 screens of further garbage (this always
reminds me of the beauty of Java exception handling ;-) - but no real
error message on what is going wrong - the crawler should be patched for
this. IIRC, Cocoon Servlet exception handling has been improved lately,
could someone brief me on this?

- which brings me to another idea: Gump-like runs, i.e. be silent when
everything goes well, but nag the project when there is a validation or
docs generation error - with a meaningfull error message. There is
someone on this list who has some experience with this matter ;-)

</Steven>