forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: DocBook vs Open eBook
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 12:35:59 GMT
> From: Ivelin Ivanov [mailto:ivelin@apache.org]

> So do you have preferences between Open eBook and simplified DocBook?

Ivelin,

sorry for not following up rightaway.

I believe we should stick to what we have now for the time being, i.e.
document-v11 and others being readied by Diana, David, myself and others
in between Forrest and Cocoon. These are simple grammars which a
significant share of contributors already know, and the investment of
learning to use them being minimal.

I am kind of interested in the Open eBook stuff as being a delivery
grammar, not an authoring grammar, just as (X)HTML for webbrowsers and
FO for print documentation.

Does anyone on these lists has access to an eBook reader - the hardware,
I mean, not the Microsoft/Adobe software products.

Setting up a conversion from what we have as a source format to eBook
format is trivial, and we could include this into Forrest given interest
from both information producers and information consumers. Manning
already offers some Java/XML books in eBook format, I don't see why we
can't do that, too.

What do you think?

</Steven>