forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: Project Deliverables List ?
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2002 20:37:41 GMT
> From: Ruedi Anneler - A-R-T GmbH, Switzerland [mailto:ran@a-r-t.ch]

> I'm new here and I wonder wheter there's a project deliverables list
> available telling me more about the expected results. As far as I've
> seen there are a lot of activity descriptions. Insiders might
> know (or
> only assume ?) what the outcome of every activity is, I don't.

I hope the project vision (amongst other things) is somehow clarified in
the Primer (http://xml.apache.org/forrest/primer.html) - have you read
it?

> As I'd like to share my ideas concerning large systems documentation
> (have several years of experience in this area) I'd like to know what
> the final result - preferrably in measurable terms - will be (even if
> it's only a vision at this time).

What do you mean with 'measurable terms'? You don't want an ROI
calculation for a primarly internal Apache documentation project, don't
you?

> Having a look on the "dream" list I miss the addressed
> "consumers" (e.g.
> in the form of user groups) and their tasks.
> Could you please let me know about your plans and project
> management. Thanx.

Well, this is open source. Informal process, no project management,
maybe some thought leaders (but we are a small group, so not much
leadership wanted), everybody working on the little parts he/she is
particularly good at, organic process etc... My primer was mostly
written as an intro for newcomers, so I would be happy if you review it
and post comments or requests for clarification.

> Attached is a draft of a project setup as I use it in commercial
> development projects. I'm interested in feedback to this too.

Looks like the typical consultant document to me, sorry (and I already
wrote many of them, trust me). It's good if you need to convince a
prospect that he should allocate that budget for you. It doesn't work in
this context IMO.

If you think the project's homepage doesn't sufficiently describe what
we are doing, than we should do something about it.

</Steven>