forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: build path variable
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:34:07 GMT
> From: Bert Van Kets [mailto:bert@vankets.com]
>
> This is a call to an Ant expert.
> I was thinking of solving the hard coded path in the tabs.
> To my opinion
> the best solution is to get the path from Ant and use it in the
> stylesheet.  I have been looking at the project.xtarget but
> can't find the
> parameter I can use in the stylesheet (something like
> @build.path@).  I
> have tried to use some variables with no succes.  This is why
> I hard coded
> it in the first place.

I don't think that specifying the path info as a build parameter is a good
idea, but currently I have no idea how to solve it better. What about
relative links? I know that this requires calculation of relativeness for
every nested level, but I don't think that it's impossible. Will think about
it ASAP.

> The problem is I'm not an Ant expert yet and need some assistance.
> Can someone shine some light on this please?
> Adding/using the build path in Ant makes it possible to build
> to a specific
> directory with working tabs by simply adding a parameter to the build
> command.   The build path can then be modified in the cron
> job by adding a
> parameter and assure working tabs.
>
> Steven,  I have not yet found the time to look at Libre, but
> can it be used
> for the tabs too?

I hope so. Hadn't time to look at it too, but as I understand it was
invented to perform that kind of tasks, isn't it?

> Konstantin, if you want to make the tab functionality
> independent of the
> directory structure, how would you do this?  There must be
> some grouping of
> different parts.  Isn't a directory tree the easiest way to
> go.  If you
> want to put the grouping in an XML tree we will have to place
> an entry in
> the tabs.xml file for every directory we want to be placed
> under a certain
> tab.  This will require some mods to the tabs functionality,
> but nothing
> difficult to it (of course).  I just thought it was easy to
> have every sub
> directory of a certain directory appear underneath a tab
> automatically.  No
> extra configuration needed.

I think that tabs.xml should be a single file in the root directory. Is
there a need for having different tab-sets for some parts of the site? If
yes, then your approach is Ok: to have tabs.xml and use it for all the
underneath directories.

Regarding the independence (when did I said that, btw?): I just don't want a
direct mapping of the URI space onto the directory structure, but this is
easily achieved by the sitemap. We should define an URI space first and
define how it should be displayed, e.g.:
/					-- site root
	index				-- an introduction page
	/home				-- this should lead to the root
directory
		/project		-- menu section
		/contributing		-- menu section
			primer		-- menu item
	/docs
	/forum
	/about
etc.

Of course we should map this URI space to a directory structure, but the
structure will be different, e.g.:
	/home -- /xdocs/*
	/docs  -- /xdocs/community/**
	etc.

(Disclaimer: this is an example, not a proposal).

I think that we should take a closer look at the libre and its
possibilities.

Konstantin