forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: CVS: line-endings UNIX/DOS
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 09:44:45 GMT
> From: Bert Van Kets [mailto:bert@vankets.com]
> > > Thanks David.
> > > The files do originate from me.  I'm using a Win2K system
> > > (for the time
> > > being).  The files were submitted by Steven.
> > > I am going to migrate to cygWin and when I solve my ADSL
> > > modem problem to
> > > Suse Linux 7.3.  I will take extra care of the CR/LF problem
> > > when the move
> > > to the new OS/system has been done.  I'm starting to dislike
> > > Windows as an
> > > open source development platform :(
> >
> >I am using Win NT 4.0 at work and Win2K at home with no
> problems or ...ok,
> >with a few problems, but they are all solvable this way or
> another - in most
> >cases very simply.
> >
> >I am also using WinCVS, but for diff file creation I've used
> (before getting
> >committer access) the command line cvs. To do this you should add the
> >directory of cvs.exe (e.g. the WinCVS root directory) to
> your system PATH
> >and then run this command from the repository  root, e.g.:
> >
> >C:>cd apache\xml-forrest
> >C:\apache\xml-forrest>cvs diff -u > patches.diff
> >
> >and that's all. No need to copy/paste, etc.
> >
> >(If you have Tcl installed then I think that you should be
> able to run this
> >command from WinCVS as well, didn't try it myself though).
>
> I do have tcl installed and the macro's work.  I like the
> prompt commands
> better though.
>
> If you pipe to a file don't you get the diffs in 1 big file?? Is that
> OK?  Can you submit all differences in 1 go?  Sorry, but I
> haven't gotten
> to reading the CVS manual yet, which is very chaotic to a newbie btw).

Never had problems with it. Though, I've never submit lengthy and multifile
patches (max. 2-3 per diff file). And having all differencies in one file
also esier to apply (when there are no problems with patch command - this
one needs another 'HowTo').

>   There are some other reasons why I am switching to Linux though.

I have nothing against switching to Linux, don't get me wrong. I just want
to tell that Windows can be successfully used for Open Source development ;)

> 1) it's cool
> 2) something new to learn
> 3) my PIII 850MB, 256MB RAM machine (Dell Inspirun 8000) will
> fly instead
> of crawl.  Win2K takes up 150MB just to start

Agree. I don't have possibility to install Linux at work, but I am also
going to install it at home as soon as I upgrade my HDD.

> 4) I think that developing in Linux is easier for all this
> open source stuff

The CR/LF problem is not a big issue to switch to a new OS for this ;)

> 5) There's soo much in Linux I like better, plus I can still
> keep my Window
> apps (using a trick or two)  The other way around takes up
> too much system
> resources.

Can you elaborate on this? What exactly is better in Linux? (I just want to
learn a little before installing it)

> 6) Finally getting control over my machine like the good old
> DOS days (man
> I miss those days sometimes)

;)

> Are there any reasons why I shouldn't move to Linux?  since I
> have only
> beginners experience with Linux I might not have the complete
> picture.  Any
> input is welcome.

Having begginners experience will make you to spend your time on searching
for the needed config param or command. But this is the only way to learn.

I am quite happy with Win2K. When I miss my institute days on VAX machines
with old Berkeley Unix I use PuTTY or CygWin or connect to one of our Sun
servers here with Solaris or SunOS ;)

Konstantin