forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: CVS: line-endings UNIX/DOS
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:56:03 GMT
> From: Bert Van Kets [mailto:bert@vankets.com]
> At 12:16 7/06/2002 +1000, you wrote:
> >I think that i have found one cause of the line-endings
> >problem. The new files that Steven committed yesterday
> >have dos line endings. These were received directly from
> >someone on a Windows system. I gather that committers need
> >to verify new files before 'cvs add' them.
> >
> >When i deal with a patch, then i look at the diffs with my
> >text-editor which immediately shows that it needs dos2unix.
> >I do this regardless, because i am not clear whether
> >the 'patch' program deals with mixed line-endings.
> >Does anyone know?
> >
> >I just fixed the few files that were added yesterday.
>
> Thanks David.
> The files do originate from me.  I'm using a Win2K system
> (for the time
> being).  The files were submitted by Steven.
> I am going to migrate to cygWin and when I solve my ADSL
> modem problem to
> Suse Linux 7.3.  I will take extra care of the CR/LF problem
> when the move
> to the new OS/system has been done.  I'm starting to dislike
> Windows as an
> open source development platform :(

I am using Win NT 4.0 at work and Win2K at home with no problems or ...ok,
with a few problems, but they are all solvable this way or another - in most
cases very simply.

I am also using WinCVS, but for diff file creation I've used (before getting
committer access) the command line cvs. To do this you should add the
directory of cvs.exe (e.g. the WinCVS root directory) to your system PATH
and then run this command from the repository  root, e.g.:

C:>cd apache\xml-forrest
C:\apache\xml-forrest>cvs diff -u > patches.diff

and that's all. No need to copy/paste, etc.

(If you have Tcl installed then I think that you should be able to run this
command from WinCVS as well, didn't try it myself though).

Konstantin