forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: Forrest new style
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 08:21:24 GMT
> From: Bert Van Kets [mailto:bert@vankets.com]
> At 00:41 6/06/2002 +0400, you wrote:
> >From: "Bert Van Kets" <bert@vankets.com>
> >

> > > Done!
> >
> >Well done, Bert!
> >
> >Again a little buzz from me:
> >     - the top level 'forrest' link has some 's' letter
> after the link
> >     - another mysterious 'S' appears above the first tab
>
> Darn,  My left Ctrl key is acting up, so I guess I must have
> tried to save
> twice there.  I'll remove them asap.  Sorry.
>
> >     - I don't much like the new colors for visited and
> active links - the
> >first is a little out of the all color theme of the site,
> the second is too
> >dark and don't differ much from the content black text (this
> one is a matter
> >of taste, so feel free to ignore)
>
> No, please give me an alternative.  I was inpired by the
> page.html (you
> know where)

What about a this color: #7A98B8 for a:hover?
But I liked the old reddish color more, and again - it's a matter of taste.

> >Now we definitely need a better book.xml and some cleanup in
> current books
> >     - do we need 'HowTos' in menu when we have a HowTos tab?
> >     - the same for 'xml.apache.org'
>
> My thoughts exactly, I just didn't want to remove them just yet.

Ok

> >     - using the current HowTo directory structure we should
> duplicate the
> >same book.xml for all howto entries, otherwise menu will be
> of not much use,
> >e.g. :
> >http://www.dream-models.com/xml-forrest/community/howto/cvs-s
> sh/howto-cvs-ss
> >h.html (here I'd prefer to see the parent menu with
> highlighted current
> >HowTo menu item).
>
> How about 1 book.xml for all current how-to's?  There's too much
> separation.  Doesn't do much good to the usability of the site.

Yes, 1 book would be better, but I'm not sure that it will work without
changing the current sitemap. I've proposed to use separate sitemaps for
'HowTos', docs, etc. - all the big specialized areas, but currently it's not
possible, cause it will require knowledge of sitemap syntax for other
projects.

Steven, what about a a central sitemap repository like this:
conf/
	sitemap.xmap <-- root sitemap
	howto/
		sitemap.xmap <-- howto sub-sitemap
	documentation/
		sitemap.xmap <-- docs sitemap
etc.?

And extend the mount element like this:
     <map:mount
	uri-prefix="howto"
	src="context://community/howto/"
	sitemap="howto/sitemap.xmap"   <!-- here we specify the sitemap
location
	check-reload="yes"/>

AFAIK, it's not supported by Cocoon, but we have enough Cocoon committers
here to vote for it  ;)

> > > I have done the following:
> > >
> > > - add selected item to the menu
> > > - added external tag support in the menu
> > > - make the tabs functional
> > >      + add tabs.xml
> > >      + add tab2xhtml.xsl)
> > >      + add tab-cocoon-v10.dtd
> > >      + add tab-cocoon-v10.dtd to entity catalog
> > >      + add pipeline to sitemap and add aggregation part
> to *.html and
> >**/*.html
> > > - sorted out most of the CSS problems (text resizing remains)
> > > - add a label image to the menu since these are not dynamic
> > > - replaced : with > in the path at the top
> > > - move the "created with Cocoon" and "built with Krisalis
> Centipede"
> >images
> > > to first page
> > > - replaced h2 with h1 for the title (Diana do I still
> need to add some
> > > white space??)
> > >
> > > What needs to be added/changed:
> > > - make the links on the tabs independent of the build
> target (TMHO we need
> > > some code here :( )
> > > - make the top path depending on a site.xml file or some
> other source
> > > - make paging work
> >
> >Hm... Does anybody have an idea on how to paginate the
> content? I know how
> >to do it when pages are placed in separate files, but how to
> split an XML
> >file into pages and keep it well-formed? It's definitely
> time to have a look
> >at Stefano's paginating transformer.
>
> yep, just soo little time at the moment.  Any takers,
> pllllleaeaeaeaese??

Little time is everybody's problem... ;(

> > > - make the "selected item" function in sub menus (Cocoon
> has the same
> >problem)
> >
> >Having a consolidated book.xml should solve this problem, isn't it?
>
> I don't know, haven't considered this solution.  Got to take
> a look at it
> and try.
>

> > > - Make the fonts scalable in CSS
> > > - add and incorporate a CSS class to the section titles
> to add some white
> > > space above them
> >
> >I'd also make them bold.
>
> We can try that.
>

> > > - make the menu dynamic (least important to me and not
> voted yet AFAIK)
> >
> >AFAIR, I was the only seconder of dynamic menu (if you mean
> JS-dynamic). My
> >proposal was aimed at lengthy documents with multiple
> >chapters/sections/pages. Currently, I don't see a need for
> dynamic menu:
> >menus are too short and has only two levels and it'll be
> useless to make
> >them show/hide-able.
>
> Indeed, but if you look at what was intended in the original
> design, there
> are a LOT of levels.  Is this a real life sample.
> I was thinking about creating dynamic book2html stylesheet
> that creates a
> dynamic DHTML menu.  The main problem is I would have to use
> div and span
> layers and there are a LOT of browsers out there that won't
> be too happy
> about that (Opera for one).

If you search in mail list archive (somewhere in March) then you could find
my version of dynamic menu and even book2html stylesheet for it. AFAIR, I
didn't use any 'div' for it, I simply used CSS styles for open/closed
sections with 'display:visible|hidden' field. And applied that style to <ul>
and <li> elements. I even have version that works in Netscape 4.74.

> Let's put the dynamic menu on hold for now.

Yes. We can add it when it will be a real need for it.

KP