forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: Tabs
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 11:03:14 GMT
> From: Bert Van Kets [mailto:bert@vankets.com]
> At 14:14 5/06/2002 +0400, you wrote:
> > > From: Bert Van Kets [mailto:bert@vankets.com]
> > >
> > > I'm building the tab system.
> > > The tabs need to point to a certain directory.  Since the
> > > root of the site
> > > is a subdirectory I need to set relative links to the root of
> > > the site.
> > > for example
> > > home = "/forrest/"
> > > how-tos = "/forrest/community/howto/"
> > >
> > > To be able to do this I must know the directory where the
> > > site will be
> > > deployed.  What ANT parameter do I need to use to get this
> > > done?  How do I
> > > implement it?  Can I just add @build.dir@ to my stylesheet?
> >
> >Would you tell more on how are you going to implement that?
> Where are you
> >going to get the names of the tabs? It's not a good idea to
> have names of
> >the tabs the same as directory names. And I'd like to have
> an URI space that
> >isn't bound to the file system structure.
>
> As Steven proposed I'm using the same technology as the menu
> system.  I
> added a **top-**.xml pipeline to teh sitemap, a top.xml file
> in the xdocs
> directory and a top2xhtml.xsl to the skin stylesheet/html directoy.
> The top.xml file contains entries much like the menu system.
> I'm using a
> label and a dir attribute do link a sub-directory to a tab.  Every
> directory in the tab sub-directory will activate the tab too.
>  Very simple,
> easily maintainable and proven system.

This is exactly what I've proposed a while ago - to use a special markup for
the 'global-path' and 'tabs' (I think that you'll see it if you take a look
at the sample that I've sent to you, except for the syntax - I prefer
'*/top/*'-like notation in sitemap).

And I'd call it 'tabs.xml' instead - it'd be more obsious for a reader.

> >A while ago were proposed a site.xml (or it was index.xml?)
> that would carry
> >all the needed things for either the 'global-path' (apache >
> xml.apache >
> >project) or the tabs, menus, etc - something like a topic
> map, but nothing
> >yet done in that direction.
>
> hmm, that would need to span the WHOLE site.  The menu system
> of every
> project would need to be in there.  Unless there's a site.xml
> per project I
> don't see how this could be maintained.
> I think a site.xml file should only contain the top path
> entries, like the
> top.xml file  contains the tab entries.
> This way the structure is split up in three levels:
> site.xml : site path at the top of the page
> top.xml (1 per project) : tabs content
> book.xml (1 per directory) : menu content.

Not bad idea.

> >Regarding the path: you can use a sitemap parameter and pass
> it to your
> >stylesheet. But I think that we must find a better solution
> without a need
> >to specify the context directory.
>
> The data is already in Ant.  I just need a way to access it.

If you use Ant for it then you'll have to rebuild the site for every
possible deployment locations.

> AFAIK I can't
> use the sitemap since it resides in the forrest directory.  Any other
> suggestions?

Don't see how this can be a problem? I have to look at it closer.

Konstantin