forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: readying the cross-project build environment
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:53:26 GMT

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 01:31  PM, Steven Noels wrote:

Will site updates be based on a manual trigger or time-based trigger
(once a day, once an hour, etc.)?

> * there will be three source retrieval mechanisms:
>
>      - a simple filecopy (for projects local to the forrestbot host)
>      - grabbing sources from anoncvs
>      - fetching sources using scp (public/private key distribution
>        required)

Sources are retrieved from what cvs branch? For example, with Cocoon,
would this be the release branch? What if someone is in the process of
commiting a bunch of modified files which, if retrieved by Forrestbot at
the wrong time, causes a build failure?

What if I'm updating release and want to turn off any Forrest retrieval
until I'm finished. Will I be able to do that?

>    * two build mechanisms
>
>      - Cocoon static file generation
What if a build fails? What happens? Is an email sent to a list? Is the
build tried again later (after another fresh retrieval)?

>      - webapp assembly
>
>    * (optional) deploy methods
>
>      - filecopy (also for the war?) - readying for rsync operations
>      - cvs check-in (

Do we need live site cvs equivalent (as is the case today, where the web
site is a locally checked out copy of the live site repository)? Do we
need version history of what is shown on the web site? What if a new web
site version, even if built correctly, is problematic and needs to be
changed immediately. It would be nice to be able to revert to a previous
version, as is possible right now (through the live site repository).

>      - scp (public/private key distribution required)
>
> 2) we use an XSLT transformation using the Ant style task transforming
> the forrest.xconf to a set of Ant buildfile snippets (one per
> project) - it is likely we'll be using the Xalan redirect function
> here - I want the output to be granular for resilience reasons - a
> snippet will basically consist of a parametrized call of the task
> mentioned above
>
> 3) these generated targets are executed by Ant

How can Forrestbot be manually stopped, in case of a problem? Will each
individual project still have that control, or will it be only within
control of Forrest (committers)?

Diana