forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject RE: CVS: line-endings UNIX/DOS
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 09:15:41 GMT
At 12:56 7/06/2002 +0400, you wrote:
> > From: Bert Van Kets [mailto:bert@vankets.com]
> > At 12:16 7/06/2002 +1000, you wrote:
> > >I think that i have found one cause of the line-endings
> > >problem. The new files that Steven committed yesterday
> > >have dos line endings. These were received directly from
> > >someone on a Windows system. I gather that committers need
> > >to verify new files before 'cvs add' them.
> > >
> > >When i deal with a patch, then i look at the diffs with my
> > >text-editor which immediately shows that it needs dos2unix.
> > >I do this regardless, because i am not clear whether
> > >the 'patch' program deals with mixed line-endings.
> > >Does anyone know?
> > >
> > >I just fixed the few files that were added yesterday.
> >
> > Thanks David.
> > The files do originate from me.  I'm using a Win2K system
> > (for the time
> > being).  The files were submitted by Steven.
> > I am going to migrate to cygWin and when I solve my ADSL
> > modem problem to
> > Suse Linux 7.3.  I will take extra care of the CR/LF problem
> > when the move
> > to the new OS/system has been done.  I'm starting to dislike
> > Windows as an
> > open source development platform :(
>
>I am using Win NT 4.0 at work and Win2K at home with no problems or ...ok,
>with a few problems, but they are all solvable this way or another - in most
>cases very simply.
>
>I am also using WinCVS, but for diff file creation I've used (before getting
>committer access) the command line cvs. To do this you should add the
>directory of cvs.exe (e.g. the WinCVS root directory) to your system PATH
>and then run this command from the repository  root, e.g.:
>
>C:>cd apache\xml-forrest
>C:\apache\xml-forrest>cvs diff -u > patches.diff
>
>and that's all. No need to copy/paste, etc.
>
>(If you have Tcl installed then I think that you should be able to run this
>command from WinCVS as well, didn't try it myself though).

I do have tcl installed and the macro's work.  I like the prompt commands
better though.

If you pipe to a file don't you get the diffs in 1 big file?? Is that
OK?  Can you submit all differences in 1 go?  Sorry, but I haven't gotten
to reading the CVS manual yet, which is very chaotic to a newbie btw).

  There are some other reasons why I am switching to Linux though.
1) it's cool
2) something new to learn
3) my PIII 850MB, 256MB RAM machine (Dell Inspirun 8000) will fly instead
of crawl.  Win2K takes up 150MB just to start
4) I think that developing in Linux is easier for all this open source stuff
5) There's soo much in Linux I like better, plus I can still keep my Window
apps (using a trick or two)  The other way around takes up too much system
resources.
6) Finally getting control over my machine like the good old DOS days (man
I miss those days sometimes)

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't move to Linux?  since I have only
beginners experience with Linux I might not have the complete picture.  Any
input is welcome.