forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject RE: CVS: line-endings UNIX/DOS
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 07:08:13 GMT
At 08:52 7/06/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> > From: David Crossley [mailto:crossley@indexgeo.com.au]
>
> > I think that i have found one cause of the line-endings
> > problem. The new files that Steven committed yesterday
> > have dos line endings. These were received directly from
> > someone on a Windows system. I gather that committers need
> > to verify new files before 'cvs add' them.
>
>Sorry - late at night, but you're absolutely right. I'll try harder next
>time.
>
> > When i deal with a patch, then i look at the diffs with my
> > text-editor which immediately shows that it needs dos2unix.
> > I do this regardless, because i am not clear whether
> > the 'patch' program deals with mixed line-endings.
> > Does anyone know?
>
>I've used patches that Bert prepared on his machine - and guess what:
>they worked OOTB. Using the 'patch -p3' switch John informed us about
>helped.

FYI here what I did on my Win2K system to complete the picture:

- logged into CVS as anoncvs using winCVS v1.2
- selected the xml-forrest/src directory in the explorer window at the top
- typed cvs diff -u in the bottom window
- Copy and pasted the results file by file and pasted in notedpad
- Saved in notepad as text only adding the .diff extention to the filename
- Saved the new files notification in a separate file
- Zipped all files and mailed to Steven ;-)

I guess we almost have a howto on creating and submitting pathes using
winCVS here. :-)

Bert