forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject Re: Forrest new style
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 21:16:08 GMT
At 00:41 6/06/2002 +0400, you wrote:
>From: "Bert Van Kets" <bert@vankets.com>
>

> > Done!
>
>Well done, Bert!
>
>Again a little buzz from me:
>     - the top level 'forrest' link has some 's' letter after the link
>     - another mysterious 'S' appears above the first tab

Darn,  My left Ctrl key is acting up, so I guess I must have tried to save
twice there.  I'll remove them asap.  Sorry.

>     - I don't much like the new colors for visited and active links - the
>first is a little out of the all color theme of the site, the second is too
>dark and don't differ much from the content black text (this one is a matter
>of taste, so feel free to ignore)

No, please give me an alternative.  I was inpired by the page.html (you
know where)

>Now we definitely need a better book.xml and some cleanup in current books
>     - do we need 'HowTos' in menu when we have a HowTos tab?
>     - the same for 'xml.apache.org'

My thoughts exactly, I just didn't want to remove them just yet.

>     - using the current HowTo directory structure we should duplicate the
>same book.xml for all howto entries, otherwise menu will be of not much use,
>e.g. :
>http://www.dream-models.com/xml-forrest/community/howto/cvs-ssh/howto-cvs-ss
>h.html (here I'd prefer to see the parent menu with highlighted current
>HowTo menu item).

How about 1 book.xml for all current how-to's?  There's too much
separation.  Doesn't do much good to the usability of the site.

> > I have done the following:
> >
> > - add selected item to the menu
> > - added external tag support in the menu
> > - make the tabs functional
> >      + add tabs.xml
> >      + add tab2xhtml.xsl)
> >      + add tab-cocoon-v10.dtd
> >      + add tab-cocoon-v10.dtd to entity catalog
> >      + add pipeline to sitemap and add aggregation part to *.html and
>**/*.html
> > - sorted out most of the CSS problems (text resizing remains)
> > - add a label image to the menu since these are not dynamic
> > - replaced : with > in the path at the top
> > - move the "created with Cocoon" and "built with Krisalis Centipede"
>images
> > to first page
> > - replaced h2 with h1 for the title (Diana do I still need to add some
> > white space??)
> >
> > What needs to be added/changed:
> > - make the links on the tabs independent of the build target (TMHO we need
> > some code here :( )
> > - make the top path depending on a site.xml file or some other source
> > - make paging work
>
>Hm... Does anybody have an idea on how to paginate the content? I know how
>to do it when pages are placed in separate files, but how to split an XML
>file into pages and keep it well-formed? It's definitely time to have a look
>at Stefano's paginating transformer.

yep, just soo little time at the moment.  Any takers, pllllleaeaeaeaese??

> > - make the "selected item" function in sub menus (Cocoon has the same
>problem)
>
>Having a consolidated book.xml should solve this problem, isn't it?

I don't know, haven't considered this solution.  Got to take a look at it
and try.

> > - Make the fonts scalable in CSS
> > - add and incorporate a CSS class to the section titles to add some white
> > space above them
>
>I'd also make them bold.

We can try that.

> > - make the menu dynamic (least important to me and not voted yet AFAIK)
>
>AFAIR, I was the only seconder of dynamic menu (if you mean JS-dynamic). My
>proposal was aimed at lengthy documents with multiple
>chapters/sections/pages. Currently, I don't see a need for dynamic menu:
>menus are too short and has only two levels and it'll be useless to make
>them show/hide-able.

Indeed, but if you look at what was intended in the original design, there
are a LOT of levels.  Is this a real life sample.
I was thinking about creating dynamic book2html stylesheet that creates a
dynamic DHTML menu.  The main problem is I would have to use div and span
layers and there are a LOT of browsers out there that won't be too happy
about that (Opera for one).
Let's put the dynamic menu on hold for now.