forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject Re: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:45:53 GMT
<snip/>

> > - Please have a look at
> > http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-site/sources/website.xml?rev=1.27&
> > content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup which is the 'old' book.xml as has
> > been used by the now defunct stylebook. I see <hidden> and <external>
> > and I find these quite interesting. Your ideas?
>
>I really don't understand "hidden" much, but external should be something to
>add to the link tag (ie in-context link or out of context).

I have included the external feature in the book2xhtml.xsl I'm doing to get
the menu the Cocoon way.
The hidden attribute would let you set a link hidden.  Can be nice in
dynamic systems where you want to put part of a site offline for a moment
or during development without having to remove the tag.  In Forrest it's a
bit obsolete since we build a static site every time.  Do I remove the
attribute?

<snip/>

 > - The bert skin - in general, I think the body text is a point (or two)
> > too big - there isn't too much text on a screen. Bert, can we fix this?
> > I know I can change the settings of my browser, but I believe the
> > default font-size is 12pt, which is simply too big, showing too little
> > content on a 1024*768 screen.

This is the disadvantage of having a big screen (1600 x 1200).  I'll adjust
the CSS file to a more appropriate level.  I guess the text in the menu
needs to be adjusted too.

Here's another matter: The <code> areas that are too wide.
This has also been discussed by Stefano.  He offered several solutions.  I
don't see how we can wrap the text server side (at least I don't).  If we
REALLY need <pre> tags then the committer must make sure the page is not
too wide.  Having ANT catch this on the production machine is a bit of a
nuisance I think, but can be used as a test locally.
The current font size is 75% of the default font size (0.75em).  This
results in 10px size on a normal text height.  I will reset it to 1em since
too many people complain, but then the scrolling problem is not solved.
Stefano also proposed <textarea> as a solution.  Any thoughts on this
one?  Using CSS I can remove the borders, but there will be scrollbars if
the text is too wide.
Any thoughts?

>+1
>
> > Please review the result of this little transition exercise and post
> > other issues you come across with.
>
>On the top: apache : xml.apache : forrest
>Which is normal of course, since you imported it in the forrest run.
>We will need to remember to check this.

These are indeed imported from Ant parameters and thus fixed.  Does this
need to be dynamic in the future?  If so, where will we get the data for
this path?

Bert