forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [DTD] List attributes
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:11:24 GMT
Piroumian Konstantin wrote:
> #twoItem { list-style-image: url('images/two.gif') }

Ah, I got a bit fixated on the <li class="stuff"> that
I forgot about this possibility.
>>- How should PDF generation handle the CSS definitions?
> Have no idea yet. I should learn more about PDF generation first.
> Suggestions are welcome.

You cannot directly use CSS and XSLFO toghether. And because
CSS is not XML, you cannot use XSLT to transform CSS snippets
into FO properties.
I thought of an XMLified version of CSS, XCSS or something,
which can be easily transformed to either CSS for HTML or
into FO properties. The W3C should have thought of it, but
it seems this didn't cross their mind. Bad stuff happens.

> Another option is the customize the XSLT stylesheet and extend the syntax of
> the document DTD for specific needs.

I don't think this is universally accepted as a good idea
or even only as a pragmatic approach.

J.Pietschmann