forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stylebook transition
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:26:49 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> J.Pietschmann wrote:
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> >> Then you start seeing why Cocoon is not just ant++ for xml.
> >

> > I knew this already. The point was what follows:

> >> Granted. But we could package a very simple cocoon-light.jar file which
> >> would not be bigger than 200Kb and requires you Xerces and Xalan, just
> >> like your ant scripts would.
> >
> > Do you have such a package at hand? Or some guidelines
> > how to get it (other than trial-and-error). Is avalon
> > included in the size calculation? FOP uses LogKit and
> > A-Framework, only Excalibur appears to be in need to be
> > added, but what about other projects?
>
> This is the list of jars used in the Forrest cent:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-centipede/tools/cents/forrest.cent/lib/
>
> the biggest is cocoon with 1Mb, but taking out non-compulsory features
> it becomes much smaller.

Oh, totally. The scratchpad itself is 300Kb (and we don't use those in
Forrest), we also use just a very few sitemap components and we don't
use XSP and a bunch of those big avalon components that Cocoon has.

I think it's entirely possible to have a cocoon-light.jar package for
forrest which is just around 400Kb including Avalon Framework and the
components of Avalon Excalibur that we need.

I think that the forrest build file should create that cocoon-light.jar
package by itself and redistribute that.

> >> Why do you want to rewrite something that is already available? You were
> >> using stylebook and that didn't bother you that much, why switching to
> >> forrest is that painful?
> >
> > I am bothered with stylebook, one issue being that I don't
> > know anything about how it works.

Yes, I know that feeling.

> > Is there an HOWTO-easy-switch-to-forrest? In particular,
> > is there a package which can be distributed with a project
> > so that users can build their docs at home?

No, but we should definately make an effort to make one available from
this very project.

> Currently Centipede has a Forrest plugin(ie cent) that has this purpose,
> but it's of an older version.
> We are planning to use the newer Forrest as soon as the DTD is agreed on.
>
> --

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.