forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Stylebook transition
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 06:53:36 GMT

J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Then you start seeing why Cocoon is not just ant++ for xml.
> I knew this already. The point was what follows:
>>> - How are users building Apache software at home from
>>>  scratch supposed to generate documentation? Using
>>>  Cocoon CLI seems to be a bit large to expect.
>> Granted. But we could package a very simple cocoon-light.jar file which
>> would not be bigger than 200Kb and requires you Xerces and Xalan, just
>> like your ant scripts would.
> Do you have such a package at hand? Or some guidelines
> how to get it (other than trial-and-error). Is avalon
> included in the size calculation? FOP uses LogKit and
> A-Framework, only Excalibur appears to be in need to be
> added, but what about other projects?

This is the list of jars used in the Forrest cent:

the biggest is cocoon with 1Mb, but taking out non-compulsory features
it becomes much smaller.

>> Why do you want to rewrite something that is already available? You were
>> using stylebook and that didn't bother you that much, why switching to
>> forrest is that painful?
> I am bothered with stylebook, one issue being that I don't
> know anything about how it works.
> Is there an HOWTO-easy-switch-to-forrest? In particular,
> is there a package which can be distributed with a project
> so that users can build their docs at home?

Currently Centipede has a Forrest plugin(ie cent) that has this purpose,
but it's of an older version.
We are planning to use the newer Forrest as soon as the DTD is agreed on.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -