forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stylebook transition
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 06:53:36 GMT

J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Then you start seeing why Cocoon is not just ant++ for xml.
>

> I knew this already. The point was what follows:
>
>>> - How are users building Apache software at home from
>>>  scratch supposed to generate documentation? Using
>>>  Cocoon CLI seems to be a bit large to expect.
>>

>> Granted. But we could package a very simple cocoon-light.jar file which
>> would not be bigger than 200Kb and requires you Xerces and Xalan, just
>> like your ant scripts would.
>
> Do you have such a package at hand? Or some guidelines
> how to get it (other than trial-and-error). Is avalon
> included in the size calculation? FOP uses LogKit and
> A-Framework, only Excalibur appears to be in need to be
> added, but what about other projects?

This is the list of jars used in the Forrest cent:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-centipede/tools/cents/forrest.cent/lib/

the biggest is cocoon with 1Mb, but taking out non-compulsory features
it becomes much smaller.

>> Why do you want to rewrite something that is already available? You were
>> using stylebook and that didn't bother you that much, why switching to
>> forrest is that painful?
>
> I am bothered with stylebook, one issue being that I don't
> know anything about how it works.
>
> Is there an HOWTO-easy-switch-to-forrest? In particular,
> is there a package which can be distributed with a project
> so that users can build their docs at home?

Currently Centipede has a Forrest plugin(ie cent) that has this purpose,
but it's of an older version.
We are planning to use the newer Forrest as soon as the DTD is agreed on.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -