forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [DTD] List attributes
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:06:47 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>Well, the question applies to unordered lists too, I guess.
>
> really? why? do you want to be able to specify the bullet graphic? I
> would clearly disagree since this is a style concern.

You should know already that you wont get away that easily.
The argumentation is nearly literally the same as for ordered
lists, just replace the numberings with bullets, dashes and
stars as appropriate.

After all, you could also claim the using numbers or bullets
is a presentation issue, and drop the distinction between ol
and ul.

The underlying problem is that lists (ordered or unordered)
convey only a very generic semantic.
It is a matter of presentation whether a todo list
  <todo-list>
    <todo>Today...</todo>
    <todo>Tomorrow...</todo>
    <todo>Urgent...</todo>
  </todo-list>
is formatted as a numbered list, a bulleted list or a table.
However, if a content writer is forced to use ul in absence
of a more applicable markup element, he might conceivably want
to have more control on presentational aspects to get the
intended semantics piped through. This may collide with
choices by the designer, roman numbers fit better with some
styles than others, and latin characters don't fit well if
the text uses chinese script.

There are more issues which I'll keep for later (I'm starting
to make mistakes).

J.Pietschmann