forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [DTD] List attributes
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:49:45 GMT
Piroumian Konstantin wrote:
>>I can see a point when you might need a *different* graphic...
> I think that in this case you should need to use an 'icon' element instead
> of the list bullet. Or, as I've proposed once, use 'id's and have special
> CSS styles to format your items uniquely.

Would you care to comment about the following issues
with your approach(es):
I suppose you mean to use
    stuff some more stuff</p>
in your first proposal. Lists are usually formatted
with hanging indent. How do you get
   + some stuff stuff stuff stuff stuff
     some more stuff
instead of
   + some stuff stuff stuff stuff stuff
   some more stuff
Apart from this, it seems to be an overkill to use a graphic
just to get a dash instead of a bulleye.

In the second case
- Does this mean the graphics designer has to create
   an class="{id}" for each element which has an id? If so,
   how would the graphics designer get his classes used?
   How should clashes with classes defined by the desinger
   avoided? Mangling the id implies the class id in the CSS
   has to be mangled the same way, which ought to imply
   parsing the CSS.
- How will the CSS be put into the source document and
   how will it get into the formatted result?
- How should PDF generation handle the CSS definitions?

Regards
J.Pietschmann