forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DTD] List attributes
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:49:39 GMT
"J.Pietschmann" wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >>  <ol>
> >>    <li>
> >>      <ol>
> >>        <li>stuff
> >>  ->
> >>    1.
> >>      a) stuff
> >>or
> >>    1.
> >>      1.1 stuff
> >

> > Isn't this a style decision?
> >
> > I mean: shouldn't be the graphic designer to know *how* to format nested
> > lists?
>
> It depends. If so, you'll get *all* lists numbered either
> one or the other way.

Yes, this is correct.

> While the graphic designer should supply
> a default, I can imagine that the document writer sometimes
> wants to have a choice.

Hmmm, maybe... but I'm not that sure.

> This is especially the case for *nested* lists.

Yes, I see this.

> The
> presentation
>    1. kkkkk
>      a) sdfs
>      b) klrdjtlert
>    2. laber kram
>      i) guru do
>      ii) gnta lore
> may be conceived differently from
>    1. kkkkk
>      1.1. sdfs
>      1.2. klrdjtlert
>    2. laber kram
>      2.1. guru do
>      2.2. gnta lore
> The latter suggests the sublists adhere to a more common
> criteria than in the first case, where the sublists may
> express arbitrary independent choices.
> You can, of course introduce a new element for "hierachical
> nested lists" in order to distinguish it from arbritrary
> nested lists.

that would have redundant semantic, an attribute on <ol> seems like a
better solution to me.

Anyway, how do you envision this attribute to be? Something like

 <ol numbering="latin-small|latin-big|letters|numbers">

would be enough for your needs?

> Apart from this, there is still the question
>  > > Are there default rules how nested <ol> get numbered?
> Getting
>    1. kkkkk
>      1. sdfs
>      2. klrdjtlert
>    2. laber kram
>      1. guru do
>      2. gnta lore
> is a bit unimpressive, and can become confusing.

Agreed.

> Unfortunately, there are a few nested ordered lists in the
> FOP documentation, therefore I'd like to get an answer from
> the guardians of the DTDs.
> Well, the question applies to unordered lists too, I guess.

really? why? do you want to be able to specify the bullet graphic? I
would clearly disagree since this is a style concern.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.