forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stylebook transition
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:53:35 GMT
"J.Pietschmann" wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm currently reorganizing the FOP docs. The actual
> version uses stylebook. I thought I replace this by
> Ant's style task. This proved a bit more complicated
> than expected, because of the transformation pipelines.

Then you start seeing why Cocoon is not just ant++ for xml.

> General questions:
> - How are users building Apache software at home from
>   scratch supposed to generate documentation? Using
>   Cocoon CLI seems to be a bit large to expect.

Granted. But we could package a very simple cocoon-light.jar file which
would not be bigger than 200Kb and requires you Xerces and Xalan, just
like your ant scripts would.

> - Should projects always provide prebuilt HTML even in
>   sourcce distributions?

Each project decides that.

> - Should projects provide XDocs in binary distributions?

Same as above.

> Apart fron this, I ended up with the following Ant target:
>
>    <target name="html-fop" depends="prepare-docs">
>      <mkdir dir="${build.htmldocs}"/>
>      <copy todir="${build.xdocs}">
>        <fileset dir="${xdocs}"
>          excludes="**/changes*,**/contributors*,**/faq*,**/howto*,**/todo*"/>
>      </copy>
>        destdir="${build.xdocs}"
>        includes="**/changes*.xml"
>        extension="xml"
>        style="${xdocs}/dtd/changes2document.xsl"/>
>        destdir="${build.xdocs}"
>        includes="**/contributors*.xml"
>        extension="xml"
>        style="${xdocs}/dtd/contributors2document.xsl"/>
>        destdir="${build.xdocs}"
>        includes="**/faq*.xml"
>        extension="xml"
>        style="${xdocs}/dtd/faq2document.xsl"/>
>        destdir="${build.xdocs}"
>        includes="**/howto*.xml"
>        extension="xml"
>        style="${xdocs}/dtd/howto2document.xsl"/>
>        destdir="${build.xdocs}"
>        includes="**/todo*.xml"
>        extension="xml"
>        style="${xdocs}/dtd/todo2document.xsl"/>
>        destdir="${build.htmldocs}"
>        includes="*.xml"
>        style="${skin}/stylesheets/document2html.xsl"/>
>    </target>
>
> This seems to be rather verbose and redundant. At least,
> the naming conventions fit.
>
> Question:
> - Is it a good idea to tie processing to document name
>   conventions?
> - Alternative ideas?
>
> I could probably use Ant <echo> to simulate Cocoons directory
> generator and do something useful with it.

Why do you want to rewrite something that is already available? You were
using stylebook and that didn't bother you that much, why switching to
forrest is that painful?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.