forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: escaping the ego trap [was: RE: import of xml.apache.org main site into forrest]
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:46:57 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> > From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>
> > NOTE: I do this to avoid Steven and his colleagues to waste time. I
> > would be simple for me to vote -1 to libre and keep going with what we
> > have, but that would be very rude and unrespectful of their
> > contributed
> > effort.
>
> Indeed :-)
>
> OK - how do we proceed from here. Some points & issues.
>
> * We have a pre-refactored version of libre in our own CVS, which does
> basically what I have described in
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102336035108059&w=2. Given
> Stefano's remarks and our own belief in release early & often, we could
> contribute this as-is to Forrest.

Great.

> * We believe Libre has a scope which can be broader than Forrest,
> however, given the fact the refactoring currently going on is mostly
> about Avalonizing the thing, the idea of traversing other repositories,
> and also having other output implementations than the Cocoon Generator
> (there is a CLI output already, others may follow). So we don't know
> whether this should be part of Forrest, Cocoon, Avalon, Krysalis or
> outerthought.sf.net. We could contribute the Jar of course, but that
> means only we have CVS-access to the (open) source, which is not in the
> spirit of our donation.

No, I would not like to accept a binary donation anyway. I would suggest
to keep the thing here in forrest for now.

> * Practical issue: I'm not the author of the thing, only the cardboard
> engineer. Marc Portier <mailto:mpo@outerthought.org> is, and it would be
> very impractical for him/us when the canonical version resides in a CVS
> repository where he has no commit rights to. At the same time, we
> sincerely believe this should not be an easy way of gaining commit
> rights for him on Forrest. So it is much more likely that we start with
> adding it to SF, and re-using the Jar within Forrest. This of course
> will mean that it won't be readily available for Forresteers, they will
> have to look it up on SF instead.

Hmmmm, to be entirely honest with you, I think that the normal routines
apply: somebody makes a donation, keeps submitting patches, developers
get bored of applying the patches to they give commit access.

That's as simple as that, no need for SF proxying.

> * We could send an archive with source, examples, etc to interested
> parties or the list, if that would help in the mean time. I won't expect
> the refactoring be finished soon, and we now understand that this would
> be better with some more eyeballs looking into our work. I am not sure
> whether we'll find these eyeballs here, maybe cocoon-dev is a better
> place.

I think those doco-headed people are subscribed to both lists, so it
doesn't really matter. for now, I would suggest keeping the focus on the
functionality (not the code) and donate it here in the forrest
scratchpad.

> We feel we might be missing an opportunity window here, so please help
> us out in resolving this issue.

Hope this helps.

> Thanks for your patience,

No probs.