forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [vote] focusing on internals
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:41:17 GMT
This vote is about something that I think we are doing wrong: we are
skinning too soon.

Ok, we all love Cocoon, XSLT and the ability to change the entire look
of a site by simply setting a new variable someplace. But is this a good
thing to do at this very moment?

Looking in the forrest CVS we have:

 - avalon-site
 - basic
 - bert
 - forrest-site
 - jakarta-site
 - xml-apache-site

Now tell me: if I make a structural change in the forrest sitemap, am I
supposed to go into every skin and update it as well?

forget it.

I propose a vote to remove *all* skins from forrest but one until we
consider Forrest stable enough to make a release *and* state to skin
authors that the forrest internals are solid enough to create a skin
upon.

For now, we simply can't guarantee that and I don't want any job in the
forrest internals to be slowed down by the fact that all skins must
proceed in parallel. This is just as bad as early optimization. It's
simply not the right way to do things.

I'm not against people using Forrest with their own skins (I'm thinking
about Avalon and POI who happen to live in a forrest-agnostic land), but
I'm concerned about the fact that more skins at this point mean less
speed for forrest in general and I don't like this.

I don't care which skin is kept in CVS and becomes the reference
implementation, but I want just one.

Vote?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.