forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Bert Van Kets as a Forrest Committer
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 19:55:22 GMT
Bert Van Kets wrote:

> Please disregard my last mail, I did not mean to send it.  I accidently
> pressed the send button instead of the close button!  AFAIK the list is not
> meant for personal opinions.

Who said that?

> My sincerest apologies.

Gosh, I liked your previous email much more than I like this one.

I'll tell you something: what I found miserable in many communities (not
only open development ones, I'm talking generally) is the inability to
express feelings and to trust people that do.

In some circumstances, it seems like expressing personal opinions and
emotions is considered a bad thing. I do not. Rather the opposite: I
consider a bad thing (a sign of fragility, at least) to avoid expressing
emotions in public.

In fact, there are many communities where this 'human touch' is not
present and you can feel it. I personally dislike working in those
communities, as much as I love to work around Apache (even if some mail
lists are better than others, I must admit that). Because I feel between
friends. I feel at home.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion and it won't be because I
tell you that you'll get the same feeling, but my suggestion is not to
stop your valuable emotions from influencing your work, your words and
your eventual contributions to this and to other Apache projects.

I'm telling you because you wrote this email, but this is directed to
anybody: our power as human beings is much greater if we don't neglect
any aspect of being one. Sure, some times are easier than others and
some times we don't feel like doing it.... but believe me: working by
heart is both healthy, human, powerful and fun... and hard.

Don't think I'm a new-age freek or something: yes, I do consider myself
an idealist, but I'm not blinded by it. I've crashed against the wall of
crude reality a few times (even very recently) and my idealism is
somewhat more critic, but I know I have much to learn and not much from
the technical point of view, but mostly from the human point of view.

Please, don't feel imbarassed because this personal email was triggered
by your message: my intention is to use your case to tell something to
everybody, it's not directly to you only.

And it is exactly for this reason that you get my +1

Keep up the great work!

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.