forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making Cocoon Forrest-ready
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:01:21 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:

> I'd like to start taking advantage of the great resources here at
> Forrest with Cocoon. A prior vote on the Cocoon list revealed no
> negative votes to the idea of adding only document-v11-based dtds to the
> Cocoon cvs. Because existing Cocoon docs are based on document-v10, I
> have not yet been able to use the howto dtd I contributed to Forrest for
> Cocoon How-Tos. Existing Cocoon How-Tos remain based on document-
> v10.dtd, and early authors have shown a tendency to take a few
> liberties, given the lack of a specific howto dtd. I have been hesitant
> to commit such howtos (or revised faqs for that matter) to Cocoon's
> release branch or live site, or announce the doc effort, because I
> didn't want to have to spend my already limited time revising inevitable
> community contributions later. Still, I am eager to start publicly
> soliciting community contributions asap.
>
> I'd like to gather feedback on a proposed way to begin a *partial*
> transition to Forrest readiness. I want to convert existing faqs and
> how-to content to be validated against document-v11.dtd compatible dtds.
> This effort would *not* include dealing with any other existing
> documentation, yet. With your feedback, I will then ask for additional
> comments on cocoon-dev.
>
> Process
> 1. Add the new dtds and entities where appropriate in C2 cvs (in
> src/documentation/xdocs/dtd and src/webapp/resources/entities)
> 2. Add (with different names or in different locations?) updated
> stylesheets for faq2document.xsl, document2html.xsl, etc.
> 3. Modify the sitemap  to process faqs and how-tos with updated
> stylesheet(s). This means, in part, explicit pipeline matchers, similar
> to what I contributed to Forrest. (I already have issues with what I
> contributed to Forrest, so expect a patch within a few days before I do
> anything with Cocoon community files.)
> 4. Modify existing faq and how-to xml content files
>
> Comments?

Hmmm, if Steven was able to perform the whole xml-site translation, he
might be willing to help on the complete transition of Cocoon docs to
Document 1.1.

That is abrupt, I agree. But since the DTDs are very similar, shouldn't
provide any more problems to the document authors.

Steven, what do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.