forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DTD questions
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 11:54:39 GMT
"J.Pietschmann" wrote:

> Well, the problems still remain. Here a short form:
>
> 1. Make titles elements. This is a show-stopper for me.
>   I'd take vetoes as cause to fork my own DTDs for FOP.

Hmmm, I don't think that anybody here has the power to veto something.

The goal of this project is to come up with a 'reasonable' common ground
for documentation across the xml.apache.org project and hopefully other
ASF efforts (and maybe more, but this is not our top priority).

I think you'll find out that people are very reasonable, but also
sensible forking threats. My suggestion would be to state clearly why
what exists doesn't work for you and I'm sure that people might provide
solutions that fit your needs, or decide to patch the DTD (which must
remain solid, but it's not carved in stone).

As for this particular problem, I came to agree with you that a <title>
element is required and I expressed why.

> 2. Handle links similarly, either provide all with an
>   @anchor, or none. I'd prefer the latter, because of less
>   ambiguity and for consistence with topic maps.
> 3. Provide more precise guidelines for when to use which
>   link element than on
>    http://www.krysalis.org/forrest/document-v11.html
> 4. Provide a mechanism for avoiding having the same target
>   href in lots of links scattered all over the place, for
>   the sake of easy maintainability of the hrefs.
>
> Is this concise enough to get some decisions (not necessarily
> final code) on short order?

I have clearly expressed the design ideas behind the current hyperlink
markup and I provided a solution for all the above problems and some
more.

Hopefully this meets your needs and will avoid any forking.

Thanks.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.