forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] on titles being elements or attributes
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:36:55 GMT
Bert Van Kets wrote:

> >Should titles be child elements of sections, or remain attributes with
> >the section element within the v11 DTD's?
> >
> >  [  ]  <section title="Forrest R&amp;D">...</section>
> >  [  ]  abstain
>
> Looks clearer to me to maintain.  It also reflects the structure of the
> head area.

After a lot of thinking, I've changed my mind and now I agree that the
title should be a structural element rather than a labelling attribute.

For two main reasons:

 1) The title isn't a flat label describing an element, but it's a
structural element that contains some markup which is not necessarely
limited to text without markup.

While is not normally good to have <strong> in a title, the use of <em>,
consider those cases where namespaced markup must be added and
transformed as content (say, things like MathML), forcing the title to
be an attribute goes against the ability to mix namespaced content and
this is clearly a mistake, no matter how infrequent this become.

 2) Css-based XML editors reflect the fact that elements are used as
structural blocks, while attributes are mostly used to indicate
non-visual properties of the markup. We know that CSS selectors allow
anything to be a block, even an attribute, but I think the design patter
of keeping attributes for non-visual information might be a good way to
judge a DTD for structures that must be directly presented.

So, here is my +1 to allow

 <section>
  <title>Blah</title>
 </section>

and deprecate <section title="">

where the element 'title' can contain any of the inline markup elements.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.