forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: DTD questions
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 19:42:21 GMT
> I'm trying to organize Cocoon FAQs into sections, and it's next to
> impossible. Many Cocoon FAQs clearly belong in multiple sections.
> Perhaps that's somewhat unique to Cocoon being a glue technology.
> Instead of sections (although it's ok for now), I think it's better to
> have something like a topic map decide relevant FAQs for a given
> category/topic.

I had this problem too. I finally settled to putting a one-liner and
a link to an external description into every section, because most of
the problems in need to be put into several categories warrant not
only a description of a solution but also some background info. Some
of the external stuff are HOWTOs, others are a new Understanding-stuff
series.
So far I have
- HOWTO track down and isolate problems
- HOWTO report bugs (abundant FOP specific hints)
- Understanding URLs
- Understanding URL resolving
- Understanding Java command line (classpath, memory settings)
Probably more to come.

> What I think we *do* need, for lots of document content types, is some
> way of indicating the source code/components and even version upon which
> they depend. Then, when something about that code/component changes,
> such content (FAQs, tutorials, how-tos, etc.) can be found and edited
> easily. When those inevitable delays occur, such docs could at least
> display warnings about being out-of-date/alpha etc. XSLT could include
> such flags (comparing doc version to release version) until the content
> is updated to reflect the current software status.

Interesting. I'll try to digest this.

J.Pietschmann