forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: DocBook vs Open eBook
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:07:53 GMT
Hi,

Ivelin Ivanov wrote:

>Does someone know the difference between these two standards initiatives:
>http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook/
>http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/openEbook.html
>
>They both seem to have industry backing while at the same time overlap quite
>a bit.
>
>Also, why don't we use one of these two for our documentation instead of
>maintaining proprietary DTDs. There are tools on the market for WYWIWYG
>editing of both of these standards, which can make doc writing easier. And
>of course there are XLSTs for rendering to media from XHTML to voxml to PDF.

I have experience with docbook, and I would say stay away from docbook.
- docbook is for writing technical books
- docbook is huge and covering all the possible combinations (which Norm
Walsh has done) is a pain to say the least.
- many ways to structure the XML and still be valid
- it (Norm's XSL) uses a hell of alot of includes

There is a simple version maintained by Norm. This might suit needs
better, but, really it is for books - not websites.

best,
-Rob