forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Documentation widths
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 11:59:00 GMT
Brian Topping wrote:

>I see four potential solutions so far, and I don't like any of them.  I hope there are
more:

>1) Be very careful with the width of the content in <source> tags.  This seems prone
to problems as people forget when they are creating documents and requires going through all
the docs to fix them.  To encourage this, maybe a build warning could be emitted when the
width gets outrageous.

>2) Add <width> tags to the HTML output cells that do not contain <source>
from within the stylesheets.  This would penalize people who had wide screens and preferred
to use the width, but studies show that text typeset in columns that are too wide is harder
to read than narrower columns anyway.

>3) Add a preprocessor to the <source> template that reflows the contents to a narrower
width.  This one sounds ugly because the preprocessor would have to understand where to reflow
(i.e. not chop words, indent the next line nicely...)  Once again, triggering the reflow could
cause a build warning so someone would know to fix it.

>4) Change the font size in the <source> template to something really small.  Ick.

Another option for this is a textarea. You can set the number of columns
(width) and anything wider scrolls inside the textarea.

-Rob