forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <terrac...@mac.com>
Subject Making Cocoon Forrest-ready
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 12:53:37 GMT
I'd like to start taking advantage of the great resources here at
Forrest with Cocoon. A prior vote on the Cocoon list revealed no
negative votes to the idea of adding only document-v11-based dtds to the
Cocoon cvs. Because existing Cocoon docs are based on document-v10, I
have not yet been able to use the howto dtd I contributed to Forrest for
Cocoon How-Tos. Existing Cocoon How-Tos remain based on document-
v10.dtd, and early authors have shown a tendency to take a few
liberties, given the lack of a specific howto dtd. I have been hesitant
to commit such howtos (or revised faqs for that matter) to Cocoon's
release branch or live site, or announce the doc effort, because I
didn't want to have to spend my already limited time revising inevitable
community contributions later. Still, I am eager to start publicly
soliciting community contributions asap.

I'd like to gather feedback on a proposed way to begin a *partial*
transition to Forrest readiness. I want to convert existing faqs and
how-to content to be validated against document-v11.dtd compatible dtds.
This effort would *not* include dealing with any other existing
documentation, yet. With your feedback, I will then ask for additional
comments on cocoon-dev.

Process
1. Add the new dtds and entities where appropriate in C2 cvs (in
src/documentation/xdocs/dtd and src/webapp/resources/entities)
2. Add (with different names or in different locations?) updated
stylesheets for faq2document.xsl, document2html.xsl, etc.
3. Modify the sitemap  to process faqs and how-tos with updated
stylesheet(s). This means, in part, explicit pipeline matchers, similar
to what I contributed to Forrest. (I already have issues with what I
contributed to Forrest, so expect a patch within a few days before I do
anything with Cocoon community files.)
4. Modify existing faq and how-to xml content files

Comments?

Diana