forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <terrac...@mac.com>
Subject redirects with static sites
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:10:35 GMT
Seems to me redirecting may be an issue for some future Forrest sites as
they upgrade their documentation organization (and implement clean, but
*different*, URI spaces). I starting dealing with this issue last
weekend with Cocoon (the link to faq and XMLForm How-To docs changed),
and I'd like to come up with a systematic (not ad-hoc) approach for
future redirect needs.

What approach should be taken for handling redirects on
statically-deployed sites generated by Forrest doc builds?

- Can we deploy an .htaccess file with such sites? If so, could we add a
.htaccess file somewhere and simply copy it over to the proper location
during the docs build? I suppose it could also be generated within the
docs build (adding a new depends target) by transforming a redirect.xml
file (with all redirect info) into an .htaccess text file.

- If the above isn't possible, are html files with meta refresh tags and
accompanying text (with explicit anchor href to same refresh target)
acceptable? If so, we could generate these during a docs build (again, a
new target dependency). The target could transform a single redirect.xml
file, using Xalan extension redirect function, generating all of the
necessary files in the proper locations within the docs build.

- Something else?

Either way, designating redirects in a single file would be a lot easier
to manage. IMO, it's important to keep old links alive for users.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

Diana