forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: validation targets and v10 DTDs
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:37:19 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> > Steven Noels wrote:
> > >
> > > David, is it really needed to have the v10 DTDs inside Forrest? For the
> > > sake of upgrading documents from v10 to v11, we don't really need them,
> >
> > Ah, that is the trouble ... the new scratchpad targets
> > that Diana has developed for transform-v11 does require
> > the old v10 DTDs to be there.
>
> As soon as DTDs are declared in instances then they must
> be resolved. The only other solution is to dispense with
> centralised DTDs and the Ant <xmlcatalog>. This would then
> require the DTDs to be hard-coded below the xdocs at
> c2/v10/xdocs/dtd/
>
> > > and adding them means people will start to use them and will not feel
> > > the need to migrate to the new version.
> >
> > This is a dilemma. I was hoping that the easy transform-v11
> > facility will encourage them.
> >
> > > Another minor quibble is the Ant-specific catalog file. This means we
> > > now have to maintain three separate files for the exact same purpose. I
> > > would have preferred to wait for Ant catching up on standardized
> > > external entity catalog support instead.
> >
> > I agree. I would prefer that too. There are some notes in the
> > top of the catalog-ant.xcat to that effect.
>
> I wanted there to be no hindrance to the transition
> experiments. So i am happy to go ahead with this sub-optimal
> solution.
>
> > > Another possibility would be
> > > adding an Ant style task which generates the other
> > > catalog formats from one canonical format.
> >
> > OK. Let us try to add those Ant style tasks.

We could keep the v10 DTDs semi-hidden by not defining
them in the OASIS catalog. Therefore Forrest cannot use
them out-of-the-box. We could have an Ant task that
generates the catalog-ant.xcat to define the v10 dtds
(as well as the v11 stuff) and makes them available only
for transformation and validation tasks via Ant. I will
try that soon.

Even when Craeg gets the Resolver classes happening with
Ant, we would still need this capability. So effort is
not wasted.

> > > Not that I'm not happy seeing you adding validation
> > > targets to Forrest; you know that!
> > >
> > I was actually adding these in to support the new scratchpad
> > targets for the transformation from doc-v10 to v11. A side benefit
> > is that we can also do basic validation with DTDS.
> > --David

While i was adding Diana's scratchpad targets i thought:
gee, this is so easy ... i will soon add the Jing task
via Ant to start using Relax NG validation. Perhaps i
will get some spare time soon.
--David