forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: validation targets and v10 DTDs
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:36:51 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
> > crossley@apache.org wrote:
> > >   Log:
> > >   Add v10 DTDs from Cocoon, to assist with transformation to v11 DTDs.
> >
> > David, is it really needed to have the v10 DTDs inside Forrest? For the
> > sake of upgrading documents from v10 to v11, we don't really need them,
>
> Ah, that is the trouble ... the new scratchpad targets
> that Diana has developed for transform-v11 does require
> the old v10 DTDs to be there.

As soon as DTDs are declared in instances then they must
be resolved. The only other solution is to dispense with
centralised DTDs and the Ant <xmlcatalog>. This would then
require the DTDs to be hard-coded below the xdocs at
c2/v10/xdocs/dtd/

> > and adding them means people will start to use them and will not feel
> > the need to migrate to the new version.
>
> This is a dilemma. I was hoping that the easy transform-v11
> facility will encourage them.
>
> > Another minor quibble is the Ant-specific catalog file. This means we
> > now have to maintain three separate files for the exact same purpose. I
> > would have preferred to wait for Ant catching up on standardized
> > external entity catalog support instead.
>
> I agree. I would prefer that too. There are some notes in the
> top of the catalog-ant.xcat to that effect.

I wanted there to be no hindrance to the transition
experiments. So i am happy to go ahead with this sub-optimal
solution.