forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Cocoon docs transition report
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:03:07 GMT
I followed Diana's excellent instructions and ran the
testcase of Cocoon for myself. Great it works ...
Thanks yet again to the wonderful Ant.

However, i have found that the entity resolution part of
this build is not actually working. At PHASE TWO Step 2
do not copy the xdocs/dtd/ stuff from Cocoon and you will
see that the build fails. Never mind, i have fixed it by
configuring the scratchpad/targets/ a little differently.

Certain parts of Diana's stuff below has been placed into
Forrest CVS. The rest of the instructions below are still
relevant. I have indicated the bits that you do not need to
bother with. You still need the other pieces from Diana's
original attachment, e.g. sitemap.xmap, forrest.xgump, etc.
You also still need to get your own Ant-1.5Beta2 jars.

I have also added the relevant document-v10 DTDs from
Cocoon into xml-forrest/src/resources/schema
See other thread about a dilemma ...
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102455612705941

Thanks again to Diana. This is all a major step forward.

On Tue 2002-06-18 Diana Shannon wrote:
> [...]

>      - added an indent attribute
>      - experimented (with no success) with different applications of
> cdata-section-elements="source"
> - fixed treatment of section/title elements (document-v11.dtd was
> updated to reflect new treatment; this stylesheet was not)
> NOTE: We're losing CDATA sections, in other words, the content
> originally wrapped by CDATA is changed to entities. AFAIK, there is no
> way around this. If so, what a PITA because: (1) The content becomes
> much harder to work with in text editors. (2) This also *breaks*
> validation on any page when a code snippet introduces non-document-v11
> elements! Looks like a manual edit, I guess. Big Yuck.
> 5. Added src/resources/library/xslt/faqv10tofaqv11.xslt. (attached)
> - Replaces doctype declaration.
> - added a template to eliminate some odd link attributes
DC> This stylesheet is now in Forrest CVS.

> 6. Added src/resources/library/xslt/bookv10.xsl.
> - Cleaned up doctype declaration (no more relative paths to dtd)
> - added a matcher to eliminate some odd link attributes
DC> This stylesheet is now in Forrest CVS.

> 7. Typed "./build.sh scratchpad"
> 8. At interactive prompt, entered "transform-v11"
> 9. Iterated through doc transformation. Fixed any docs with problems
> (and updated cocoon cvs)
>
> o----------o
>
> PHASE THREE
> Validated new xdoc files
>
> 1. Downloaded jars for ant-1.5Beta2. Placed in tools/ant/lib
> 2. Added centipede target src/scratchpad/targets/validate-v11.xml
DC> All new scratchpad targets are now in Forrest CVS.

> (attached) to
> - validate using  a locally declared xmlcatalog (with paths to all dtd
> and entity files!). The xmlcatalog element is WAAAAY cool.
DC> Modified Diana's xtargets to include the xmlcatalog
DC> from src/resources/catalog-ant.xcat
DC> This is still not ideal, but it works.

> 3. Typed "./build.sh scratchpad"
> 4. At interactive prompt, entered "validate-v11"
>
> Problems:
> - plan/changes-doc.xml didn't validate (change doc or dtd?)
> - plan/todo-doc.xml didn't validate (change doc or dtd?)
> - some files with source snippets failed to validate (manual edits?)
>
> Short-term fix
> - excluded problematic files from validation step (see target file)
>
> o----------o
>
> PHASE FOUR
> Docs Builds
> 1. Copy new docs from
>    forrest/src/testcases/c2/v11 to
>    src/documentation/content/xdocs
> 2. Type "./build.sh clean docs"
> Even with validation problems, docs built ok. I used bert skin. You can
> view the result at
>    http://www.terracare.com/cocoon-forrest/
> Better, though, to generate the result yourself. It's not overly
> time-consuming with the new scratchpad targets. You will need to the
> ant-1.5Beta2.jar to validate with the xmlcatalog. The new ant jar worked
> ok for all other build targets, at least it did for me.

I was going to update Forrest's Ant but there is a small
hitch. You need to repeat the build docs after clean ...
./build.sh clean docs; ./build.sh docs

> o----------o
>
> ISSUES
> 1. We need to add jar.xml generation to Forrest docs build. John?
> 2. We're don't seem to be catching all @XXXX@ tokens (e.g.
> released.version) in cocoon xdocs during build filtering
> 3. No time to look at example files.
> 4. What's going on with the header crumb trail? Is the @project-
> logo.href@ hard-coded as "http://xml.apache.org/forrest/" in the build
> file or is my forrest.xgump file misconfigured?
> 5. Will cocoon-dev need to vote on the Forrest skin?
> 6. Most relative doctype paths to dtd were stripped during
> transformation because of v10-v11 changes. I assume we don't need
> relative local paths anymore, given the new path capabilities of
> validation with xmlcatalog.
> 7. Several other issues, but I'm completely out of time to comment
> further.

 8. -Duse.skin=bert seems to be ignored.

See some answers to ISSUES in previous email.
--David