forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: validation targets and v10 DTDs
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:58:13 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> crossley@apache.org wrote:
> > crossley    2002/06/19 23:20:48
> >
> >   Modified:    src/resources/schema catalog catalog.xcat
> >                src/resources/schema/entity ISOlat1.pen
> >   Added:       src/resources/schema/dtd/v10 changes-v10.dtd characters.ent
> >                         document-v10.dtd faq-v10.dtd todo-v10.dtd
> >   Log:
> >   Add v10 DTDs from Cocoon, to assist with transformation to v11 DTDs.
>
> David, is it really needed to have the v10 DTDs inside Forrest? For the
> sake of upgrading documents from v10 to v11, we don't really need them,

Ah, that is the trouble ... the new scratchpad targets
that Diana has developed for transform-v11 does require
the old v10 DTDs to be there.

> and adding them means people will start to use them and will not feel
> the need to migrate to the new version.

This is a dilemma. I was hoping that the easy transform-v11
facility will encourage them.

> Another minor quibble is the Ant-specific catalog file. This means we
> now have to maintain three separate files for the exact same purpose. I
> would have preferred to wait for Ant catching up on standardized
> external entity catalog support instead.

I agree. I would prefer that too. There are some notes in the
top of the catalog-ant.xcat to that effect.

> Another possibility would be
> adding an Ant style task which generates the other
> catalog formats from one canonical format.

OK. Let us try to add those Ant style tasks.

> Not that I'm not happy seeing you adding validation targets to Forrest;
> you know that!

I was actually adding these in to support the new scratchpad
targets for the transformation from doc-v10 to v11. A side benefit
is that we can also do basic validation with DTDS.
--David