forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: wholesale document validation
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:26:46 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> Since the actual situation is that there exists no XML validation
> facility in Forrest (the Ant validation task doesn't support entity
> catalogs yet, and Cocoon validation has been non-functional since ages),
> I went shopping for some easy to use validation tool. Finding a
> light-weight catalog-enabled validating XML parser hasn't been easy, but
> I think libxml2 fits the bill nicely, especially it's commandline
> xmllint utility. It supports entity catalogs OOTB, so validating a full
> directory of XML docs is as easy as:
<snip/>

> which brings me to my next point: we *should* validate prior to
> committing ;-)
>
> libxml2 should be readily available for linux users (it's part of gnome,
> really), and there exist cygwin packages and windows binaries, too
>
> links:
>   * http://xmlsoft.org/
>   * http://www.fh-frankfurt.de/~igor/projects/libxml/
>   * http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002/msg00017.html
>
> </Steven>

Yes, all developers should validate their xdocs. It will be nice
when we have something built in to Forrest/Cocoon as well as via
Ant. However, it is still good to be able to validate with
external tools too.

Thanks for the pointer to xmllint. I have been using a reliable
validating parser for ages .. onsgmls from the OpenSP which
is also readily available on Linux systems.
http://openjade.sourceforge.net/
--David