forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [RT] building a page database and a related thought
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 06:09:21 GMT
Carlos Araya wrote:

> One facility I would like to see in Forrest is a way to have summaries of
> content in one central place so if I'm looking for something I can go to one
> place and browse summaries/abstracts before jumping into a specific page of
> content if I think that's what I'm looking for.
>
> What this would require is a DTD to define the structure of the summary
> page, a way to aggregate the information from different pages and an XSLT
> stylesheet to convert it to HTML. What do people think? Is this something
> other people would be interested in?

Excellent idea Carlos. We already have the Table of Contents
(ToC from the side-panel menu and match=doclist in the sitemap).
This just aggregates all of the book.xml files and uses the
labels. Your suggestion would also need to extract the
header/abstract from each xdoc (an optional element).

A new DTD may not be required. The ToC application just
generates a normal xdoc according to the document-v11 DTD,
and the normal documentation pipeline takes care of it.

Perhaps the upcoming replacement for book.xml (Libre)
will simplify this task. Libre was recently discussed
on this list.

--David